Candy sugars are specialty sugars made from beet sugar that undergo a caramelization process. This results in their distinctive, flavoursome sensory profile and characteristic colour. We offer a range of high-quality candy sugars with specific and aromatic caramel flavours.
The basis of candy production is still the same as 500 years ago. However, it has been optimized and is now a food-safe process in which more than 70 team members produce unique and flavourful products with a lot of passion.
- Candy Sugar (rock sugar)
- Candy Powders (candy cassonade)
- Candy Syrups
Due to their unique properties, candy sugars are used for a wide range of applications, including beer brewing, confectionery, biscuits and cakes.
TRADITION MEETS CRAFTSMANSHIP
The history of candy sugars dates way back to Belgium in 1508. At that time, Antwerp was the entry port into Europe for sugar. After many months on the boats, sugar had to be purified for human consumption. It was therefore heated, dissolved, and allowed to cool down very slowly to return to its dry form. This led the sugar producers to a discovery – a sugar that had not only regained its purity but was also enhanced in flavour and texture: Candy Sugar.
At the end of the 19th century, the sugar industry in Belgium flourished, and there were some forty sugar refiners in Antwerp alone. In 1969, one of the last active candy producers was taken over by the Tiense Suikerrafinaderij to later become the Candico NV company.
Today, Candico is Belgium’s only remaining candy sugar production company and belongs to Tiense Suikerrafinaderij, a 100 % Südzucker Group subsidiary. The long traditions and expertise of candy sugar production at Candico are maintained and preserved with respect.
We produce all our Candy Sugar specialties using our unique production processes and parameters.
- We make our candy sugars by slowly crystallizing highly concentrated sugar syrup in containers. The result: beautiful brown or white crystals.
- The next step is the harvesting and sorting of the crystals thus obtained into different fractions according to size.
- Then the remaining syrup is sent to a boiler. This particular step will give our Candy Powder its typical texture, aroma and taste.
- We then centrifuge the resulting mass to separate the crystals from the remaining syrup. These crystals will form our Candy Powders, available
in two product variants, pale or dark brown.
Made from beet sugar, candy sugars are characterised by their distinctive, flavoursome sensory profile. Their characteristic brown colouration and sensory profile comes from a caramelization process – no colouring or aromatic additives are needed.
- Characteristic aromatic taste and flavouring profile
- Clean label: without added colouring, aroma or stabilizers
- Available in different fraction sizes and in 2 colours (brown, white)
- Halal and Kosher certified quality
Beers/Brewing, Baked Goods, Biscuits and Warm Drinks
Our Candy Powder comes from the crystallization of the remaining Candy Syrup after Candy Sugar collection.
- Characteristic aromatic candy taste and flavouring profile
- Clean label: without added colourings, aromas or stabilizers
- Available in two product variants, pale or dark brown
- Halal and kosher certified quality
- Brings to the applications: Caramel flavouring effect, Natural brown colouring, Enhanced fermentation process (brewing)
Beers/Brewing, Baked Goods, Biscuits and Dairy
Candy Syrup is the result of the Candy Sugar production process.
- Clean Label: without added colourings, aromas or stabilizers
- Halal and kosher certified quality
Beers/Brewing, Baked Goods and Biscuits
BENEFITS FOR YOUR APPLICATIONS
Using our Candy Powder will enhance your end applications on several levels
- The unique Candy Powder colouring has not been artificially added to the product but results from a specific extended and meticulous process.
- Clean Label: no colouring is to be declared in the ingredients list.
- Adds its characteristic golden colour to your products.
- The Candy Powder has a round mouthfeel with notes of caramel and spice.
- It adds a roundness of flavour to preparations in the same way as vanilla would, enhancing the other flavours without overpowering them.
We offer the products of our Candy Sugar range in various packaging types and formats: in 25 kg industry bags, big bags, jerry cans and containers.
If you are interested in buying our products online, please select your country or contact us via email.
Is Südzucker Candy Sugar the same product as a Südzucker Brown Sugar? See here to learn more about the Südzucker Specialty Brown Sugars
Get in Touch
Do you want more information on our crystalline sugar products? Are you interested in crystalline sugar market trends and consumer needs?
Do you have further questions or need support to select the right crystalline sugar product?